Sunday, March 27, 2016

Midwest tradition holds that gardeners plant their peas on Easter Sunday. Although Florida is beautiful, and my son and I are enjoying our vacation very much, I wish we were home to plant peas this afternoon. Spring has arrived early this year in Chicago, so it's most definitely safe to say- go ahead and plant your peas!! 

Don't forget, peas benefit from a good soak before planting. I presoak my peas in water for 6-12 hours. Before planting (1 inch deep and 3 inches apart) I drain them and coat them with pea/bean inoculant. Inoculants are bacterium that aid legumes in fixing nitrogen from the air. This nitrogen eventually ends up in the soil, feeding other hungry plants. In my experience, peas germinate more reliably when inoculated. 

Since peas are such great nitrogen fixers they have many happy garden companions. Peas, radishes and lettuces do well together, all of them finishing early enough that something else can follow. Corn benefits from the extra nitrogen boost, as do carrots and cucurbits. Just be sure to keep onions and other alliums out of the same bed. 

Happy Easter to those who celebrate, and Happy Spring to all! Get out there and plant those peas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment